Saturday, November 14, 2009

eggs mimosa


I am now the proud owner of I Know How to Cook, a cookbook just published for the first time in English. It's been the best-selling French cookbook for generations and it's been adapted by Clotilde Dusoulier, of Chocolate & Zucchini. I read C&Z all the time and really enjoy Clotilde's cooking and writing.


I Know How to Cook is massive! There are 52 recipes for eggs! I thought I knew how to cook eggs, then I read about Italian-Style Eggs (with tomato and Gruyere cheese), Eggs a la Royale (with bechamel sauce), Cinderella Eggs (with ham, foie gras mousse, and creme fraiche), and Eggs Mimosa.


I picked Eggs Mimosa because I wanted to make my own mayonnaise. After hard boiling the eggs, I hollowed them out and mix the yolks with mayonnaise, then place it back into the whites.


I have to be perfectly honest.... I had to have two tries at the mayonnaise before I succeeded. The instructions in I Know How to Cook were clear, but I didn't realise how "gradually" I was meant to add the oil to the egg yolk. I ended up consulting my old battered copy of The Joy of Cooking and it said to add the oil half a teaspoon at a time. The second time the oil and the egg yolk thickened up straight away and made the most delicious mayonnaise I have ever tasted. (Ant and I had to restrain ourselves from digging in with the toast rounds we were making.)


Making mayonnaise is surprisingly easy, if a little hard on the arm muscles. You put an egg yolk in a bowl (make sure it is at room temperature), then beat in 1/2 c (125 ml) to 3/4 c (175 ml) oil, one half teaspoon at a time. The mayonnaise should thicken up. Season with salt and pepper, and lemon juice, Dijon mustard, or white wine vinegar.


Eggs Mimosa
adapted from I Know How to Cook

Hard boil 6 eggs. Cut them in half, then hollow out the yolks. Mash two thirds of the yolks with 200 ml of mayonnaise (the amount made with one egg yolk and 1/2 c - 3/4 c oil). Fill the whites with the mayonnaise mixture and sprinkle the remaining yolks over top. Garnish with basil.

3 comments:

Jayme said...

Yummy! Do you think I could use my Kitchenaid to make homemade mayonnaise?

Sarah said...

Jayme--That sounds like a fantastic idea! It would cut down on the difficulty of balancing the beaters while adding tiny amounts of oil. you would still have to be vigilant not to overbeat it, but I think it would turn homemade mayonnaise from a special occasion task to one that could be done any time.

Paul said...

Nice party food :-)

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading. I look forward to your comment and please feel free to ask questions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails