Sunday, September 26, 2010

curried potatoes


Sometimes it's time for comfort food. For Anthony, my husband, potatoes are the best comfort food. He grew up in a "meat and two veg" household where potatoes were a daily enjoyment. I saw this recipe on Simply Recipes and knew that it would be a happy night when I made it for dinner for him.

I didn't make many changes to the overall idea of the recipe. I adjusted the spices to match the ones in my cupboard. And I had no peas so I used baby bok choy--a delicious addition since they also provided a bit of crunch. I used ground chicken instead of ground turkey, and you could easily substitute ground pork or beef as well.

Ant was thrilled when I brought out his dinner. And your potato lover will also be thrilled when you try it.

Curried Potatoes
adapted from Simply Recipes
serves 2-3 as a main dish

2 T oil
250 g ground chicken
1/2 onion, finely sliced
1 garlic clove
1 cm piece of root ginger, peeled and minced
550 g (4-5 medium) potatoes
pinch cloves
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t pepper
1/2 t chilli powder
1 t paprika
1 t cumin seeds
1 t tumeric
1/2 t salt
1/2 c (125 ml) crushed canned tomatoes with their juice
150 g (2 small) bok choy, chopped

Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the ground chicken and scramble fry until no pink remains. Remove from the pan.
Add the onion, garlic, and ginger to the pan. Cook gently until soft, about 10 minutes.
Add the chicken back into the pan. Add the potatoes and spices and enough water to cover. Cover the pan, bring to the boil and simmer until the potatoes are soft.
Add the tomatoes and bok choy and heat through.
Serve as a main dish with rice or naan bread.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails