Thursday, January 8, 2015

Asian Omelette Wrap


The "omelette wrap" idea is a revelation to me. Use eggs as a wrapper for food? Ingenious! Grain-free and nutritious and very easy indeed. And I love eggs in all forms.

This recipe caught my eye in a Donna Hay magazine. So I suggested it to the Wednesdays with Donna Hay group in which I participate. I was completely taken in by the caption in the magazine:


I'm all over the idea of eggs making the meal. For lunch I like veggie pancakes with poached eggs. For dinner I like potatoes topped with eggs ("oeufs vert-pre"). For breakfast, mini veggie and egg cakes; for snacks, Chinese tea eggs. I could go on and on. (What about pan-crisped devilled eggs?!)

Asian Omelette Wraps
adapted from Donna Hay magazine
makes 4 wraps

In my pictured omelette wraps I have used raw vegetables as the filling. You could use any soft raw or lightly cooked vegetables. You could also use leftovers from another meal. Pictured are snap peas and yellow peppers.

8 eggs
2 T fish sauce
1 t dried chilli flakes
mild olive oil
2 large handfuls of cooked, shredded chicken
a handful each of some cooked or raw vegetables, in small pieces
mint leaves
green onions, sliced

Whisk together the eggs, fish sauce, and chilli flakes.
Heat some oil in a small pan over medium heat.
Add one quarter of the egg mixture. Leave to set on the bottom (about five minutes), then gently flip over and cook to set the other side.
Remove the cooked omelette to a plate and repeat with the rest of the egg mixture.

Place into each wrap: some chicken and vegetables. Finish with mint leaves and green onions.
Fold in half to eat.

So this was my pick for the friendly Wednesdays with Donna Hay group. I missed the allotted day for posting it, but you can see Gaye's version here. If you want to join our little blogging group, next week we are making Chinese barbecue pork from Modern Classics 1. Visit the others in the group to see their recipe posts: Margaret from Tea and Scones, Gaye from Laws of the Kitchen, and Chaya from Bizzy Bakes.


Fill in the blank: If you have ______, you have a meal.

Connect with Simply Cooked on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SimplyCooked

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails