Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Bocconcini-Stuffed Meatballs


It was my tenth anniversary this month. I’ve been reflecting on what I love most about Anthony, and it’s still the same thing as when we first met. He makes me laugh. I am naturally a pretty serious person and I desperately need some levity in my life. Here are some examples, both in words and pictures.

“Good morning, Smiler!” he says gleefully to me. I am cranky when I get up.


He sings me Christmas songs all year round. He sings Tom Jones all year round. He sings any sentence he can - lyrics that make little sense except that they make me laugh hysterically.

He was putting cheese on top of my chilli; he arranged them into a smiley face before he brought it to me. Also he arranges my cooked breakfast with eggs for eyes and bacon strips for a smile.


He’s been obsessed with words since before we met. He started to read the dictionary as a student to increase his vocabulary. While we were dating we were once talking on the phone and it took me about three minutes to realise he had the dictionary open and was trying to use every word on the “experience” page.


Just this week he said to me, “If you had a restaurant in Canada, you could make an “a-moose bouche”!


For our big anniversary this month, Anthony brought me a bouquet with ten red roses. I made him a large plate of cheese-stuffed meatballs using a Donna Hay recipe. We were both very happy!


Bocconcini-Stuffed Meatballs
adapted from Donna Hay
makes 24 meatballs, serves 3

for the meatballs:
700 g pork mince
2 eggs
1 t fennel seeds
1 t dried chilli flakes
4 garlic cloves, minced
24 baby bocconcini (mini mozzarella balls)

for the sauce:
2 T mild olive oil
two 400 g cans of crushed tomatoes
2 t wine vinegar
Parmesan cheese, to serve

Mix the pork mince, eggs, fennel seeds, dried chilli flakes, and garlic cloves in a large bowl.
Use your hands to mix well.
Using your hands, shape about 2 T of the mixture into a ball. Flatten it slightly, then place a bocconcini in the middle. Fold the meat around the cheese and smooth the meatball.
Place the meatball on a plate and repeat with the rest of the mixture.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
Add the meatballs and fry over medium heat for about five minutes. Turn and fry for another five minutes.
Add the tomatoes and wine vinegar and simmer for five minutes.

Serve the meatballs with their sauce on a bed of spaghetti or spiralized courgettes (zucchini).

This dish is part of our Wednesdays with Donna Hay blogging group. (The others made it last week but I saved it for my anniversary!) If you want to join us, next week we are making eggplant with tomato, basil, and Parmesan risotto from New Food Fast. Visit the others in my blogging group to see if they liked their recipe (which was Chinese barbecue pork this week): Margaret from Tea and Scones, Gaye from Laws of the Kitchen, and Chaya from Bizzy Bakes.

Related: A memorable dish from our honeymoon: baked goat's cheese salad.

Who makes you laugh?

Connect with Simply Cooked on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SimplyCooked

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails