Friday, August 27, 2010

ice cream petit fours


The August 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Elissa of 17 and Baking. For the first time, The Daring Bakers partnered with Sugar High Fridays for a co-event and Elissa was the gracious hostess of both. Using the theme of beurre noisette, or browned butter, Elissa chose to challenge Daring Bakers to make a pound cake to be used in either a Baked Alaska or in Ice Cream Petit Fours. The sources for Elissa’s challenge were Gourmet magazine and David Lebovitz’s “The Perfect Scoop”.


The petit fours are made in several steps. First I made a batch of delicious, creamy, vanilla ice cream. When it was almost frozen I transferred it to my 9" x 9" baking pan, the same one I was planning to make the cake in. The next day, when the ice cream was a solid square-based cuboid, I removed it from the pan and wrapped it to keep frozen.

Then I used the pan to make a browned butter pound cake. When it was cool, I sliced it horizontally into two layers, and sandwiched the unwrapped ice cream between them. Then I wrapped it all up again and returned it to the freezer.

Finally, I made the chocolate ganache glaze. Ant helped me cut up the by now very frozen layer cake, and I painted on the glaze and let it set in the freezer one last time. We enjoyed a couple of petit fours right away and froze the rest to share with friends.


As you may have gathered, I found this to be a lengthy challenge; I suppose that is partly the point of joining a group that helps you try new things. And the process fascinated me. But I doubt I will attempt the whole recipe again, unless I am asked to cater a wedding, or something! The ice cream was delicious, and I would make it again for a company dessert. And the pound cake was also very tasty and I can imagine making it again as well. The browned butter made it very tasty indeed.

10 comments:

chef_d said...

Your ice cream petit fours look delicious! Great job!

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Wow petit fours looks super cute and beautifully done !!!!

Asha @ FSK said...

Sarah, How did you get that texture on the ganache?? I love it! Hmm.. how did you find the frozen cake.. I wasn't thrilled with it, felt it was too dry..

Renata said...

Cute Petit Fours! They look so yummy! Great job!

Deeba PAB said...

I love the texture and plating Sara... it's gorgeous! petit Fours is my fave way of dessert serving, and yours are wonderful!

Sarah said...

Hi chef_d, I saw on your blog that you liked the brown butter pound cake and I agree. I wish I would have kept some unfrozen just to eat! :)

Pavithra, I saw that you did both challenges and I am amazed. Well done! I wish I had a blowtorch. (Maybe hubby will buy one for my birthday?) :)

Asha, I painted on the ganache using a silicone pastry brush. I think it was not very warm and therefore quite thick, so I wrestled in on there a bit. I think that's where the texture came from. I liked your blueberry meringue!

Renata, thanks! I was astounded by the pictures on your blog of the blowtorched meringue still on fire. Wow. They were so beautiful.

Deeba, thanks. I appreciate your feedback because I always find the photos on your blog quite inspiring. You taught me that adding fruit improves the look of all desserts! (And the taste, of course.) :)

shaz said...

These petit fours look great, and the cross section had me drooling. Lovely photos too :) Well done on the challenge.

Christina said...

They look perfect! Beautiful job!

Sarah said...

shaz, thanks! Your meringues were beautiful, too.

Christina, I was impressed by your pound cake muffins. Clever idea.

kaye said...

looks so pretty perfectly delicious!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading. I look forward to your comment and please feel free to ask questions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails