Thursday, September 23, 2010

morning glory muffins


How can I help a group of twelve-year-olds learn to use algebraic symbols to describe a matchstick pattern? What activity would help a group of fifteen-year-olds who have already been labelled as "bad at maths" experience some success (and enjoyment!)? Can I develop an interactive way of teaching the standard normal distribution?


These are tough questions that consume me about eleven hours of every day. My brain needs fuel to answer questions like these. And discussion with my colleagues is a big help as well. So these Morning Glory Muffins seemed like they needed to be in the centre of the maths office table, a place where we can refuel and discuss ideas for educating the international leaders of tomorrow. Full of healthy stuff--like whole grains, carrots, nuts, and raisins--and just enough sugar to be tasty (but less than the original recipe), they are brain food extraordinaire. Try them and see what great ideas you come up with (and please share in the comments below)!
Morning Glory Muffins
adapted from Whole Grain Baking
makes 12 medium and 12 small muffins

1/2 c raisins
2 c whole wheat flour
2/3 c packed brown sugar
2 t baking soda
2 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t cloves
1/4 t nutmeg
1/2 t salt
2 c grated carrots
1 large apple, cored and grated
1/2 c unsweetened coconut
1/2 c chopped walnuts
1/3 c sunflower seeds
3 eggs
2/3 c vegetable oil
1/4 c orange juice
2 t vanilla extract

Pour hot water over the raisins and leave to soften while preparing the rest of the recipe.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt.
Mix in the carrot, apple, coconut, walnuts, and sunflower seeds.
In a small bowl, mix the eggs, orange juice, and vanilla extract. Add to the dry ingredients and mix only until just combined.
Fill muffin cups and bake at 375 F (190 C) for 25-28 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.

4 comments:

Sarah, Maison Cupcake said...

They. Look. Fantastic. You're just too darned healthy!!

Sarah said...

Haha! You make me laugh, Sarah. Maybe we should try to find some common blogging ground--wouldn't we make hilarious guest posters on each other's blogs? :-D I've never even made a cupcake and I doubt I would know how! You could teach me a thing or two; and my husband would be plenty pleased. I'm looking forward to hearing about your wedding cupcakes, incidentally.

Unknown said...

these muffins pack so much punch indeed!
ps. i am really more of a street, ghetto diner...maybe that's why i didn't quite enjoy robuchon as much as i expected to :D

azelias kitchen said...

Nice idea Sarah of having the orange juice, this is my sort of cake...with apples and carrots, I'll eat them at any time of day!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading. I look forward to your comment and please feel free to ask questions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails