Sunday, February 21, 2016

Baklazhan: Georgian Eggplant and Walnut Appetizers


I have a colleague who lived in Moscow for several years. Last spring when Anthony and I decided we wanted to visit Russia in July, I started having long talks with my colleague to hear about all the things he loved (and also those he hated) about Moscow. He said authoritatively that Georgian food was the best Russian cuisine - and I have decided he was right.

When we had a free day in St Petersburg, we used our handy Lonely Planet to go to a recommended Georgian restaurant. The photo below is of an appetiser called baklazhan we had there. Baklazhan is made with slices of fried eggplant wrapped around a walnut and garlic paste. My rendition is pictured above - and it was delicious both times!


Even Huffington Post has a recipe for baklazhan, so I think I can safely say that this is an appetiser that is worth trying. When I made it and took it to a work event, my aforementioned colleague was thrilled. He said they reminded him of many happy evenings drinking beer and eating Georgian food with friends.

Do you recreate restaurant meals at home?

Connect with Simply Cooked on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SimplyCooked

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails