Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Breakfast Parfait with Grain-Free Muesli


Let’s talk about your first name. Do you like it? Have you ever fantasized about changing it? My parents have often told me that they couldn't agree on my first name. My mother wanted to call me Juliana and my dad wanted Elizabeth. In the end they called me Sarah.

Sometimes I have imagined myself with Juliana or Elizabeth as my name. I think as Juliana I might be more of a romantic--it has a fairy tale ring to it. Elizabeth, meanwhile, sounds regal. I think it might fit with my slightly stoic personality. I would never have been a Lizzie, though, that seems too casual for my sincere side.


It was my choice for the blogging group that I’m part of and I chose this breakfast parfait because its name intrigued me. Instead of just saying that it’s muesli and yogurt with raspberries, I like that Donna Hay called it parfait; it sounds less commonplace. Breakfast parfait sounds like something you might order off a room service menu, to be served from a silver platter.

My version includes a grain-free muesli, since I don’t eat oats. It’s easy to make and also allows me to avoid the sugar in most factory-made muesli.

Breakfast Parfait
serves 1
adapted from Donna Hay

Any fresh or frozen fruit can be used in place of the raspberries. In the picture below I used chopped kumquats.

6 T (1/4 recipe) grain-free muesli (see below)
2/3 c (170 ml) plain yogurt
1/3 c (60 g) frozen raspberries

Put the muesli into a bowl or cup.
Mix the yogurt and berries together and layer on top of the muesli.
Garnish with a few extra berries.


Grain-Free Muesli
makes 4 servings

1/2 c (60 g) walnuts
1/2 c (70 g) almonds
1/4 c (25 g) ground flaxseed
1/4 c (35 g) chia seeds
1 T cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t cloves

Place the walnuts and almonds in a food processor and pulse to chop roughly.
Mix the nuts with the rest of the ingredients.
Store in an air-tight container.

This dish is part of our Wednesdays with Donna Hay blogging group. If you want to join us, next week we are making cauliflower, caramelised onion, and fontina gratin from Donna Hay magazine (December 2014/January 2015). You are welcome to join us; no long term commitment is required. Visit the others in my blogging group to see if they liked the recipe.

Would you change your first name?

Connect with Simply Cooked on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SimplyCooked

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails