Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Three-Star Lunch at Caprice

My husband and I went for the set lunch at Caprice this weekend. It's a three Michelin-starred restaurant in the Four Seasons hotel in Hong Kong. The view looks out over Hong Kong harbour.


We had three courses with a glass of wine. Allow me to describe each in a bit of detail.

Starter: chilled tomato consomme with mozzarella and tomato cocktail

The presentation was amazing! The consommé was in a glass bowl that was set on top of another glass bowl. In the lower bowl was a pile of dry ice that was violently melting and sending vapour everywhere. My consommé was thus very thoroughly chilled. And it was absolutely clear and tasted of the essence of fresh tomatoes. The "cocktail" was made of tiny dice of tomato, celery, cucumber, and mozzarella (about 2 mm cubes) and set inside a small tomato that had been deseeded and peeled, but was still intact. It was similar in size to a hard boiled egg shell, after the top has been lopped off.

Main: tuna fillet cooked with satay spices, sautéed seasonal vegetables and tomato chilli oil

The tuna was cooked just the way I like it - medium. Sometimes I find "seared tuna" is a restaurant's way of saying it is barely cooked. But this could be better described as medium cooked, and that is how I prefer my tuna. The satay spices were mild at best and tasteless at times. The seasonal vegetables were all very finely sliced and included radishes, red and yellow beetroot, baby bok choy, and carrots. The dish was finished off with a tomato and chilli oil which made sure that everything was moist. Overall, a delicious dish and one that I think could be made at home quite reasonably!

Dessert: cherry crumble tart, yogurt lime cream, and tarragon sorbet

The cherries were so great! There were plenty of fresh cherries, and also some cherry puree. Under the lines of cherries there were two slices of crumble shortbread and all around there were little dots of lime cream. I have decided that lime cream will be gracing my berry desserts from now on. The tarragon sorbet was an intriguing twist. Every sweet dish needs a little savoury foil and this one worked well.

I had a glass of sommelier-chosen wine as well; it was Mount Riley Sauvignon Blanc. It was crisp and fruity. (I know very little about wine. I barely know how to describe it!)

I refuse to take photos in restaurants, especially fancy restaurants. Sorry. I feel awkward doing it. When others do it I feel as though it ruins the ambiance of my meal. So I regret to say that I have no pictures to share with you. There are some great pictures, though, on the Caprice page.

Tell me about a fancy meal you have eaten!
Do you take photos in restaurants?

Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SimplyCooked

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails