Sunday, November 28, 2010

kiflice, Serbian mini cheese rolls


November's Fresh from the Oven challenge was these inventive cheese rolls called kiflice, from Serbia. Chosen by Maja from Cooks and Bakes, they are a yeasted mini bun that encloses a cottage cheese filling. For my version, I made a whole wheat dough and used onion and chive cottage cheese for the filling. The buns are glazed with milk and egg yolk, and, just for more shiny goodness, the baking pan is covered in dots of margerine. All this makes for a rich, cheesy snack.


I made a double recipe of the mini rolls to take to work for our Friday snacks day. Each Friday a different department provides snacks for the staff room and all the teachers and support staff come down together to eat a bit and chat. This week the maths teachers provided bread, cheese, fruit, carrots and dip, scones and jam, banana cake, and Serbian cheese rolls.


I'm still learning about adapting baking recipes by substituting whole wheat flour. I think I'll forego providing a recipe for my version of the cheese rolls because they turned out quite dry. The teachers still ate them all up, but I think I can do better. When I make a really nice whole wheat recipe, I'll post it here to celebrate. But for now, visit the other Fresh from the Oven members' blogs and use Maja's white flour version if you like. The rolls would be stunning, I am sure.

11 comments:

Sally - My Custard Pie said...

These look good Sarah - well done for hand-rolling 80 of them! I like the idea of chives in the filling. As I ate one of mine this morning I thought that a wholewheat element would be good - I might try 50/50 next time.

Maja Babić said...

Sarah, these look cute, and I'm really glad you made them. I think you should roll the dough to be more thin, and stretch the cut triangle before filling and rolling. This is JUST in order to make them look more like original, and to prevent filling leaking. But, I like them the way you made them, too! :)

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

Love the idea of the wholewheat. looking forward to getting the definitive recipe from you. Well done.

Sarah said...

Sally, I was up pretty late doing it! But it got easier as I got into it. I used 50% whole wheat and the taste was quite nice, but they were too dry. More milk next time.

Mamajac, I was stretching and stretching, but the dough was not very flexible and I ended up breaking it... I just think that I need to try again and let the dough soak a bit.

Please Do Not Feed the Animals, welcome to our group, it's nice to have you join us! I am always trying the whole wheat version of things, sometimes with more success than others!

Chele said...

Great job Sarah - they look fantastic. I especially like the use of the whole wheat dough, it gives them a wonderful finish and I bet the texture is a treat too ;0)

sarah, Maison Cupcake said...

Mmmm! Yummy! I like them even more than the white version. I really enjoyed making these.

Renata said...

Wow! These look fabulous!

Unknown said...

omg omg omg...anything cheesy...i LOVE!

things we make said...

Crikey, 80, you are dedicated. I am just making a batch of bread now, and I ran out of Strong White Flour, I added about 30% wholewheat, but I never use more than half as it can make it dry. I chuck in some butter, oil or egg to counteract it though. Nice piccies!

Rhyleysgranny said...

I would never have thought of using whole wheat. The trouble with whole wheat is it doesn't like being stretched much does it. They look really good :)

Sarah said...

things we make, I am commited to the idea of whole wheat and I've got a few tricks up my sleeve for working with it. I'm still learning but things are definitely getting better. You can expect more posts about whole wheat flour soon!

Hi Rhyleysgranny, you are right--it's just not as stretchy. I think I can fix the dryness problem, but whole wheat doesn't stretch as much as white flour. So my rolls are just a little less flexible while being made.

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading. I look forward to your comment and please feel free to ask questions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails